When I was growing up in Malaysia, my mom would make us half boiled egg for breakfast using the ‘yellow’ plastic container. How many of you know what I am talking about – the ‘yellow’ container with a top and bottom compartments?? Even with it, I didn’t always get the ‘perfect’ half boiled egg.
When I moved to the States, I never knew how to make half boiled egg without that ‘yellow’ plastic container. Then, my brother-in-law told me the trick to make the half boiled egg without it. You don’t need any special tools or kitchen gadget to make the ‘perfect’ half boiled egg. All you need is a small pot, water for boiling, eggs and a spoon.
- Fill the pot with water enough to cover your eggs.
- Boil the water.
- Remove lid and turn off the heat.
- With a spoon, gently transfer the eggs, one at a time, into the boiling water.
- Slowly roll the egg out from the spoon to the bottom of the pot.
- Let the eggs sit for about 10 minutes (+/- 1 or 2 minutes depending on the size of your eggs)
- Remove the egg with a spoon.
- If needed, run it under tap water to cool it down slightly so you can hold with your hand.
- Using your hand, crack the egg into a bowl.
- Serve with a little soy sauce and a dash of white pepper.
You may have to adjust the time you let the egg sits in the water. It depends on the size of the eggs, the number of eggs you have in the pot, if your eggs are room temperature or from the fridge and also the temperature of the room. Even if you leave it longer, the yolk hardly will turn too hard.
Now you can also make ‘perfect’ half boiled egg like a pro. Try it!0